We all have an inner Lewis and Clark. All it takes is one picture, one song, or one quote to awaken our wanderlust. In the words of the famous Nike commercial, sometimes you have to “just do it”. Just get up, pack your bags, get a car, and start driving. To give all you aspiring travelers a push, here we have compiled a list of 25 road trip quotes to inspire you to go on the road trip of your lives.
You need to know where you want to go before you start moving, right? Not necessarily. So where exactly should you go? Anywhere. Everywhere. The moment you start your trip, you are already where you need to be.
- “Roads were made for journeys, not destinations.” – Confucius.
- “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” – Lewis Carroll.
You know you can trust a man that can write a book like “Alice in Wonderland”.
- “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by.” – Robert Frost.
- “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.” – Douglas Adams.
Words to live by.
- “Because the greatest part of a road trip isn’t arriving at your destination. It’s all the wild stuff that happens along the way.” — Emma Chase.
Why should anyone go on a road trip? We’re glad you asked.
- “Now, on this road trip, my mind seemed to uncrinkle, to breathe, to present to itself a cure for a disease it had not, until now, known it had.” – Elizabeth Berg.
Much like laughter, travel is medicine.
- “The freedom of the open road is seductive, serendipitous and absolutely liberating.” – Aaron Lauritsen.
- “To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, To gain all while you give, To roam the roads of lands remote, To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen.
He got the world through travel and he gave it to us in his fairy tales.
- “To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark.
- “That’s why I love road trips, dude. It’s like doing something without actually doing anything.” – John Green.
The fault is in our stars, not our cars. Go on that trip.
- “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Saint Augustine.
- “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury.
- “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” – Anthony Bourdain.
Now we’re convinced and ready to travel. How do we start?
- “We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.” – John Hope Franklin.
- “If you make the mistake of looking back too much, you aren’t focused enough on the road in front of you.” – Brad Paisley. What has passed, has passed. What will come, will come. We just need to stay present.
- “I climb behind the steering wheel… I drive off immediately without once looking back; it’s a long journey but it leads to freedom.” – Corinne Hofmann.
- “I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson.
- “Bizarre travel plans are dancing lessons from God.” – Kurt Vonnegut. And who are we to refuse divine instruction? Spontaneity is half the fun anyway.
Who should go on road trips? Is traveling really for everyone? The answer is always yes.
- “People don’t take trips, trips take people.”– John Steinbeck.
- “We all have that one friend who is either on a road trip or planning a road trip or thinking about a road trip or talking to people who are on road trip or posting quotes about road trip.” – Crestless Wave.
We don’t know about you guys, but we sure want to be that friend.
- “Road trips are the equivalent of human wings. Ask me to go on one, anywhere. We’ll stop in every small town and learn the history and stories, feel the ground and capture the spirit. Then we’ll turn it into our own story that will live inside our history to carry with us, always. Because stories are more important than things.” – Victoria Erickson.
- “Some roads aren’t meant to be traveled alone.” ― Chinese Proverb.
Nothing can beat good old Chinese wisdom.
- “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” – Jack Kerouac.
- “Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” – David Mitchell.
No one can ever gain anything more precious than themselves.
- “The road is there, it will always be there. You just have to decide when to take it.” – Chris Humphrey.
Your adventure is waiting for you, and there is no better time than now. So when are you starting?