We have a number of questions from customers about towing and what's covered and what's not.
When you up for the Premium Plan which includes Emergency Road Side Assistance, towing is included - but like anything related to insurance - there are alway exceptions. Below is some text from the actual rental car damage insurance policy.
OPTIONAL EMERGENCY ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE SERVICE
The Emergency Roadside Assistance Services are not insurance benefits.
- Towing Assistance
- Battery Services
- Flat Tire Assistance
- Fuel, Oil and Water Delivery Service
- Lock-out Assistance
- Collision Assistance
The following services and vehicles are not included or covered:
1. Cost of parts, replacement keys, fluids, fuel, lubricants, cost of installation of products, material, and additional labor relating to towing. Any and all taxes or fines.
2. Non-emergency mounting or removing of any tires, snow tires, or chains. Shoveling snow from around a vehicle. Tire Repair. Motorcycles, trucks over one-and-a-half ton capacity, antique vehicles (meaning vehicles over 20 years old or out of manufacture for 10 years or more), taxicabs, limousines, or other commercial or delivery vehicles including vehicles used for racing, rentals, dealer services, dealer loaners, shuttle, delivery, hauling, towing, road repair service, construction service, snow removal, or as a public livery vehicle, or any other commercial use. Recreational Vehicles (RVs), camping trailers, travel trailers, or any vehicles in tow. Damage or disablement due to flood, fire, or vandalism.
3. Towing from or repair work performed at a service station, garage or repair shop. Service on a vehicle that is not in a safe condition to be towed or serviced or that may result in damage to the vehicle if towed or serviced. Non-emergency towing or other non-emergency service. Towing by other than a licensed service station or garage; vehicle storage charges; a second tow for the same disablement. Towing as a result of a collision or accident. Extrication or Winching. Towing or service on roads not regularly maintained, such as sand beaches, open fields, forests, and areas designated as not passable due to construction, etc. Towing at the direction of a law enforcement officer relating to traffic obstruction, impoundment, abandonment, illegal parking, or other violations of law.
4. Coverage shall not be provided in the event of emergencies resulting from the use of intoxicants or narcotics, or the use of any vehicle in the commission of a felony.
5. Repeated service calls for a vehicle in need of routine maintenance or repair. Services received independently from Road America without prior authorization from Road America. Only one disablement for the same service type during any seven day period will be accepted.
We hope this information has been useful to help you evaluate if road site assistance makes sense for your next rental. Please let us know through the Comments section or Contact Us form if you have any specific questions.